bash 5.0 ships with very old autoconf macros

bash 5.0 ships with very old autoconf macros

Christian Weisgerber
The bash 5.0 release still ships with very old autoconf macros to
detect gettext.  In aclocal.m4, the copy of gettext.m4 and the
supporting lib-link.m4 are from gettext-0.12 dating from 2003.

In particular, the included version of AC_LIB_LINKFLAGS_BODY cannot
detect shared libraries on OpenBSD.  (It checks for *.so; OpenBSD
only has fully numbered libraries: *.so.0.0, etc.)

These macros should be updated to newer versions from a recent
release of gettext.

Re: bash 5.0 ships with very old autoconf macros

Chet Ramey
On 2/12/19 4:08 PM, Christian Weisgerber wrote:

> The bash 5.0 release still ships with very old autoconf macros to
> detect gettext.  In aclocal.m4, the copy of gettext.m4 and the
> supporting lib-link.m4 are from gettext-0.12 dating from 2003.
>
> In particular, the included version of AC_LIB_LINKFLAGS_BODY cannot
> detect shared libraries on OpenBSD.  (It checks for *.so; OpenBSD
> only has fully numbered libraries: *.so.0.0, etc.)
>
> These macros should be updated to newer versions from a recent
> release of gettext.

I took a look at doing this. After adding almost 40 files to the
distribution, I satisfied all the m4 dependencies, and it seems to
build successfully.

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    [hidden email]    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/