misleading text in `help declare` leads to serious wrong translations (e.g. German)

misleading text in `help declare` leads to serious wrong translations (e.g. German)

dirk
Configuration Information [Automatically generated, do not change]:
Machine: x86_64
OS: linux-gnu
Compiler: gcc
Compilation CFLAGS:  -DPROGRAM='bash' -DCONF_HOSTTYPE='x86_64' -DCONF_OSTYPE='linux-gnu' -DCONF_MACHTYPE='x86_64-pc-linux-gnu' -DCONF_VENDOR='pc' -DLOCALEDIR='/usr/share/locale' -DPACKAGE='bash' -DSHELL -DHAVE_CONFIG_H   -I.  -I../. -I.././include -I.././lib  -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall -no-pie -Wno-parentheses -Wno-format-security
uname output: Linux -- CENSORED for security reasons!
Machine Type: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu

Bash Version: 4.4
Patch Level: 12
Release Status: release

  See `help declare`:
> -l  to convert NAMEs to lower case on assignment
> -u  to convert NAMEs to upper case on assignment

Is translated in German locale to:

> -l  Konvertiert die Variabennmamen in Kleinbuchstaben.
> -u  Konvertiert die Variablennamen in Großbuchstaben.

Translating this back to English is:
> -l  Converts the name of the variable to lowercase characters.
> -u  Converts the name of the variable to uppercase characters.

Fix:

Use the following text:
> -l to convert the content of NAMEs to lowercase characters
> -l to convert the content of NAMEs to uppercase characters

Check all supported languages for similar buggy translations.

Re: misleading text in `help declare` leads to serious wrong translations (e.g. German)

Chet Ramey
On 1/12/18 6:37 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Bash Version: 4.4
> Patch Level: 12
> Release Status: release

>   See `help declare`:
>> -l  to convert NAMEs to lower case on assignment
>> -u  to convert NAMEs to upper case on assignment

Thanks for the report.

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    [hidden email]    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/